William N Lindsay
1864
William N Lindsay
Company founder William Noble Lindsay was a prominent member of civic society. As well as being part of the last ever Leith police commission, he was a Leith town councillor.
Shipping Interests
1946
Shipping Interests
The company moved into shipping when a few vessels were acquired as part of a debt payment. This was built on in 1946 when a shipping agency and stevedoring business was set up at Berwick Upon Tweed (subsequently sold in 2011). The 1960s saw an increase in products being shipped from further afield, including palm products from Indonesia, and malting barley from Australia.
Our Business Today
1980
Our Business Today
Gladsmuir became the company head office in 1980 and later still the stores at Stracathro and Forfar were acquired to create the business that exists today.
Family Business
1928
Family Business
WN Lindsay’s two sons, Douglas and Argyll, followed him into the partnership. Argyll eventually took over running the business, which he carried out until his death in 1943. During that period the company made rapid progress, including incorporation in 1928. Sadly, Douglas was killed in 1915 at Gallipoli while serving with the Royal Scots. His death was a major blow. However, he left behind two young sons who would later make their mark on the company.
Production Increase
1970
Production Increase
The implementation of the Common Agricultural Policy and expansion of home-grown cereal production saw a change of direction in the 1970s. During this decade the grain stores at Keith and Gladsmuir were acquired.

We proudly work with

W.N Lindsay Gladsmuir Granary, Tranent, East Lothian, EH33 1EJ. Registered in Scotland, Company Number: 15288